1841-1915. Founded in 1841 on Seneca St, Vernon in a location that is now Dick Stanton Realty (2022) and before that was a furniture store, preceded by the Vernon Garage. Ard Judson moved from CT to Westmoreland, where he learned the carriage trade in Utica. He moved to Vernon in 1841 and established the carriage works. His sons Ard Jr. and William Ard Judson became partners. With the death of William 1914, and the increasing popularity of the automobile, the business closed in 1915.
William and Ruth Root deeded land to the trustees of District No. 1 for a school. It was likely near Heinigs corners (Peterboro and Youngs) where the Roots and Sherman's lived, and which then had more houses and a factory. (Per Kitson's Pioneers of Vernon)
The first school classes in the Town of Vernon were held by teacher Mr. Sessions in Vernon Center in the late 1790s. They met locally in a log cabin, until the meeting house in the Green was built. A one room schoolhouse was later built next to the Green, at the site of the present day (2020) Vernon Center Post Office. The building became a 2-room schoolhouse in 1896, as several Vernon Center schoolhouses were united. Students attended there through 1960.
The first frame school in Vernon was constructed around 1798, facing east, on a "Gospel Lot" on Seneca St east of the present fire house. It was replaced in 1817 by a red brick building, which was shared with the Masonic Lodge and later also the Odd Fellows. It was located where the present Baptist Church services wing is as of 2020. The records for it began in 1813. In 1875, it became part of the Vernon Union Free School district.
The Odd Fellows were a social social club and mutual welfare organization. Members paid dues, held amusements, socialized, and took care of members and their families when hardships occurred.
Active in mid-19th century. Held a series of 9 lectures in 1855, one of which was given by Ralph Waldo Emerson at the Mt. Vernon Presbyterian Church.