Directory of People
Abram Van Eps
1762 - 1841
Van Eps is one of the founders of Vernon. A merchant in Oriskany, his trading with the Oneida Nation led him to setup stores in Westmoreland and Vernon. He was granted a patent in 1796 of land purchased from the Oneida Nation by New York State the previous year. The Van Eps patent is largely what is today the Village of Vernon.
1852 - 1921
Madison County-born architect, who designed more than 400 buildings across America, including the Vernon Center Union Schoolhouse and the Vernon Methodist Church. He also designed the canopy for President U.S. Grant's casket.
J. J. Bartholomew
1854 - 1938
Prominent Vernon citizen and businessman. Owner of Vernon Mills, Mayor and Trustee of the Village of Vernon.
Merchant, bank co-founder and prominent founder/citizen.
1769 - 1834
David Tuttle was a prominent founder of Vernon. His family's homestead on now Route 26 near Vernon Center was cataloged by the U.S. as part of the historic homes survey. The Town of Vernon was formed in his home at a meeting in 1802.
Deacon Ira Hills
1872 - 1878
One of the original settlers of Vernon, family settled Vernon Center. Lived to be 96.
Col. David T. Jenkins
1836 - 1864
David Jenkins grew up in Vernon, attended Rensselaer Polytechnic institute, became a surveryor and laywer, and volunteered to fight for the Union after the Civil War broke out. He was credited for nearly single-handedly recruiting the 146th regiment of New York State Volunteers. They became part of the NY 5th Zouaves, under the direction of General Garrard.
Jenkins rose to the rank of Colonel, an astounding accomplishment for a volunteer, let alone in such a short time. He led the regiment valiantly at major battles including Gettysburg. He was killed in action at the Battle of the Wilderness in 1865.
C. E. Smith
1866 - 1919
Clarence Eben Smith was born in Vernon Center, the grandson of one of the founders of Vernon & Vernon Center. He grew up on the hill on Norton Road, just beyond the Sconondoa Creek. He built many of Vernon's most noted buildings.
1885 - 1973
A lifelong teacher, Helen taught biology at Syracuse Central High for 45 years, and 5 years at Sherwood Select School. She graduated from Wellesley College, as Phi Beta Kappa, was active in the Monday Club, on on the board of the Maple Park Home.