Abram Van Eps
Van Eps is one of the founders of Vernon. A merchant in Oriskany, his trading with the Oneida Nation led him to setup stores in Westmoreland and Vernon. He was granted a patent in 1796 of land purchased from the Oneida Nation by New York State the previous year. The Van Eps patent is largely what is today the Village of Vernon.
Born: 1762 Schenectady, New York
Burial: Vernon Village CemeteryView Gravesite Details
Abram Van Eps is one of the founders of Vernon. A merchant in Oriskany, he traded heavily with the Oneida Nation and then set up stores in what are now Westmoreland and Vernon. He granted a patent in 1796 of land purchased from the Oneida Nation by New York State the previous year. The Van Eps patent, 2 miles square, covers an area of what is most of the Village of Vernon today.
: Moved from Oriskany to banks of Dean’s Creek
April 1, 1796: Granted land patent by NYS
1797: Built a large frame store, part of which was a tavern built by Gershom Hubbel between Sconondoa Creek and second Vernon grist mill, on eastern side of town.
1798: Moved to a fine brick house
1802: Built a frame structure on north hill of Westmoreland furnace, part store part home
1809: Returned to Schenectady
1823: Wife, Miss Young, died
1827: Married Sarah Underhill of Skanaeteles.
1829: Returned to Vernon. Built large house on large tract of land west of village, which is now the American Legion, and previously owned by the Judson family and John Black.
Donated land for Vernon Academy, Multiple churches, was on board of directors of Vernon Bank when it opened, and served in the state legislature.