Founded: April 2, 1825
Location: 5233 West Seneca Street, Vernon, NY, USA
Vernon Fire Department
The fire department began in 1825. The department was organized in 1833, and consisted of 17 members. In 1840, they built an engine house. And in 1872, they purchased another engine to supplement the 1825 equipment. In 1946, the current organization was incorporated.
- 1840: Built a new engine house. Believed to be eastern part of Peterboro
- 1900s: fire house on Peterboro. Later became a NAPA Auto parts store. Siren could still be seen on the roof for decades.
- 1961 (May) dedication of new brick structure on Seneca St. Much of the labor and materials were donated. Room for 5-6 apparatus, meeting room and kitchen facilities.
- 200 Built a large addition on site of and replacing Judson house. Now room for 10-12 apparatus.
Notes: Some dates from Pioneers of Vernon, by F.K. Patterson